Doctor of Medicine/Master of Surgery
The medical professionals after pursuing their respective MBBS degree can opt for Master’s programme like Doctor of Medicine, Master of Surgery and Diploma courses like Diploma in National Board and Central Pain Syndrome.
Doctor of Medicine:
Doctor of Medicine is a postgraduate specialized course, which is pursued after completion of MBBS. It enables the student to acquire in-depth knowledge and rigorous training on a variety of subjects like Anatomy, Radiotherapy, Dermatology, General Medicine, etc. The studies help to find the exact cause of the disease with accurate diagnosis and treatment.
The duration of this course is 3 years. The entire course is mainly concentrated on lectures, practical work, seminars, research and thesis work, oral, group discussions, etc. They acquire in-depth knowledge of the topic alongside exposure to practical add the hospitals. They all work as ‘Senior Residents’ in the hospitals. The job demands responsibility, sincerity, self-confidence and distinct skills and only by perfecting and honing those skills in everyday work, one can establish oneself as a successful medical practitioner.
Students who are planning to pursue MD must possess MBBS Degree\Certificate which is recognized by Indian Medical Council.
Admission in India is based on the results of the NEET entrance examination as this is a postgraduate degree, candidates must have a valid NEET-PG score and rank in order to be admitted to one of the MD specializations in India and the minimum aggregate score requirement in the qualifying examination varies by college.
There are ample job opportunities for the medical graduates after pursuing MD. These doctors possess clinical expertise and they are always in demand. After the completion of MD, they may begin working in different Government hospitals as well as private hospitals and nursing homes. They also get to work for the reputed Bio-medical companies. The professionals who have interest in teaching can join the medical colleges as lecturers/professors and thesis guide.
Master of Surgery
- This course is a 3-year full-time postgraduate course. This course is to provide students, the scientific skills and knowledge to become a surgeon in any specialization. In this course, students study common diseases, learn how to manage and diagnose diseases, and work on areas that include public health, pathology, epidemiology, and pharmacology.
- The entire course is split into 6 semesters with 2 semesters during a year. The entire course is an emphasis on lectures, practical work, seminars, research and thesis work, oral, group discussions, etc.
- This is compulsory for the professionals who seek careers as surgeons in India. The program comprises various specializations varying according to the anatomy and physiology of humans. The program comprises details pertaining to that particular human body part to enable candidates to understand the different diseases and surgical methods to treat them. Admission to the course is based on a merit list and entirely is entrance base exam. Colleges conduct counseling and, on its basis, the students are selected through a merit list prepared by state-wise universities.
- Students who are planning to pursue MS must possess MBBS Degree\Certificate which is recognized by Indian Medical Council.
- Admission in India is based on the results of the NEET entrance examination as this is a postgraduate degree, candidates must have a valid NEET-PG score and rank in order to be admitted to one of the MS specializations in India and the minimum aggregate score requirement in the qualifying examination varies by college.
For the medical professionals who successfully complete the MS program, there are various hospitals where they can start practicing. Another successful option is to start own private hospital. They can also apply for jobs in government hospitals. Selection for jobs in government hospitals and departments is done purely on the basis of entrance exams. Professionals after completing the MS program can opt for the professions like Ophthalmologist, Urological Surgeon, Lab Technician, Researcher, Neonatal Surgeon, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeon, Upper Gastro-Intestinal Surgeon, Orthopedic Surgeon, etc.
Some of the Major Branches which are highly demanded are:
Dermatology is the study related to skin and has specialty related to medical and surgical aspects. A dermatologist can identify diseases related to skin like eczema, psoriasis, and skin cancer. Dermatologists also help patients who want to help with cosmetic concerns, including addressing issues with their aging skin, treating wounds caused by surgery to remove a skin cancer, helping to diminish acne or other scars.
After pursuing MD in Dermatology, skin specialists, are in great demand these days and these professionals can find very good future job prospects. After this course one can work as a dermatologist in private hospitals, nursing homes or government dispensaries.
The professionals specialize in diagnosing and treating injuries and diseases using medical imaging procedures such as X-rays, computed tomography, magnetic resonance imaging, nuclear medicine, positron emission tomography and ultrasound.
After pursuing the need for professional radiology technologists in hospitals, clinics, and physician’s offices is increasing continuously and it will be continued to show higher than average job growth in the future. After completing this degree, the professionals can work with Radiologist, Radiology Technologists, Radiology Technicians, Ultrasound Technician/ Diagnostic Medical Sonographer, MRI Technician, CT Tech/ CAT Scan Technologist/ CT Scan Technologist.
This medical practice deals with the health of the female reproductive system. Almost all modern gynecologists are also obstetricians. These professionals help in diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the female reproductive organs.
After pursuing a master’s program in gynecology scope has increased in the past few years due to the increase in awareness. Apart from the hospitals, well-qualified and experienced professionals tend to work in nursing homes, pharmaceutical companies, and army hospitals. Whereas some pursue teaching as a career option after acquiring a gynecology and obstetrics degree. Top medical colleges offer jobs to professionals holding at least an M.D degree for the teaching job.
MD Pediatrics is a 3-year postgraduate degree in the field of medicine, focusing on medical conditions affecting babies, children, and young people. Subjects that are taught in this program are Childcare, Anatomy, Nutrition, Child Health, Community Health, Family Welfare, and Child Psychology.
Lucrative career opportunities are bound with the field of Pediatrics. Postgraduates can do well-reputed jobs in nursing homes, private and government hospitals, clinics and dispensaries, community units, professor jobs in universities and colleges. With the experience of over 1-2 years, these professionals can earn up to 1 Lakhs – 2 Lakhs per month.
This professional course is a 3-year, related to persons who want to pursue their careers as eye specialists. The course mainly specializes in educating doctors about details of anatomy, functions, and diseases related to eyes and the curriculum covers all the concepts and processes involved in solving problems related to eyes, such as glaucoma, iritis, eye trauma, orbital cellulite, tumors, and other diseases affecting the human eye.
Ophthalmologists are highly demanded in both government and private sectors. The professionals after pursuing this course can set up their own eye clinics. These professionals can find lucrative job opportunities in various areas like hospitals run by private or government sectors, clinics, health care centers, NGOs, missionary, and charitable hospitals.
MS Orthopedics is one of the popular courses in the field of medical science. This is a 3 – Year postgraduate course which can be done after the successful accomplishment of an MBBS degree. Orthopedics covers knowledge about how to diagnose and treat diseases related to bones and joints such as all kinds of cervical spondylosis, bone tumor, spinal cord injury, rheumatoid arthritis, congenital diseases related to bones and joints, complex limb fractures, and fractures that do not get healed easily.
After passing the course one can seek employment in the healthcare sector as a surgeon, doctor, nurse, and therapist, and so on. Skilled professionals with some experience can also start their own hospitals or nursing homes.
Diploma in National Board
- Diplomate of National Board (DNB) is a Post-graduate Master’s degree which has same value and respect like that of MD/MS degree awarded to the Specialist Doctors in India after completion of a three-year residency. It is equal to Doctorate of Medicine (DM) degree awarded in medical and surgical super specialties.
- The program provides the professional with an all-round knowledge about the specific medical field they want to study. The students are taught and provided with adequate skills in academic reviews, seminars, meetings, managing records as well as performing their duties of treatment in cases of emergencies. Students who have specific medical skills and want to be professional doctors in their specialized fields in various domains of the medical field should consider this course.
The students who seek admission for this course should have passed their MBBS degree from a recognized college or university with an aggregate of 50% marks are eligible for admission in the course of DNB. They should also sit for the NEET PG entrance exam. The students should have completed their one-year rotating internship, before applying for admission to DNB.
After pursuing this course, the medical students have plenty of options and a large number of prospects in their medical career as specialists in various genres of medicine. They can be hired as professors according to their specialization subjects in reputed universities and medical colleges as well as practice their specializations on patients.
Central Pain Syndrome
- Pursuing Central Pain Management is an increasingly important asset and extra responsibility of medical personnel and has a unique focus on interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary approaches to pain management and service provision.
- The Diploma is intended for general Physicians & Specialists who wish to specialize in Pain Management and this will provide these professionals with the most advance multidisciplinary approaches and technologies for the care & management of both acute and chronic pain.
- On completion of this course, students develop a systematic understanding about the care of patients in pain Management; critically evaluate current research in inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary pain Management and demonstrate a critical understanding of self-care promotion for acute and chronic pain and deliver management strategies for the investigation and treatment of patients with pain conditions.
- The students who seek admission to the central pain syndrome course should have passed their MBBS degree from a recognized college or university with an aggregate of 50% marks are only eligible for admission in the course of CPS. They should also sit for the NEET PG entrance exam. The students should have completed their one-year rotating internship, before applying for admission.
Top private medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh are
- Rohilkhand Medical College and Hospital, Bareilly
- Saraswati Institute of Medical Science, Hapur
- F.H. Medical College, Agra
- Rama Medical College, Kanpur
- Teerthankar Mahaveer Medical College, Moradabad
- Mayo Institute of Medical Science, Barabanki
- Career Institute of Medical Science and Hospital, Lucknow
- Era Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow
- T.S. Mishra Medical College and Hospital, Lucknow
- Shri Ram Murti Smarak Institutes of Medical Sciences, Bareilly
Some of the deemed Universities are
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal University, Manipal
- JSS Medical College, Jagadguru, Mysore
- Yenepoya Medical College, Mangalore
- Bharti Vidyapeeth Medical College, Pune
- Hamdard Institutes of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi
- D.Y. Patil Medical College and Hospital, Pune
- Rural Medical College, Loni
- Kalinga Institute of Medical Science, Bhubaneshwar
- SRM Medical College and Hospital, Chennai
- Santosh Medical College and Hospital, Ghaziabad